My clients in committed relationships usually come to see me when they feel emotionally disconnected from their partners. The root causes of their dissatisfaction are relational factors such as lack of intimacy, sex, familiarity & boredom, poor communication skills, affairs, toxic behaviours and recurring conflicts. My goal is to help couples heal and create a more satisfying romantic relationship.
My work is designed to help you learn communication skills and emotional attunement. You will also learn how to empathize and address emotional pain and hurts that are getting in the way of your relationship. You will learn practical skills and exercises such as going out on dates and other assigned intimacy and sexuality enhancement homework in order to move towards repairing your relationship. All that is asked of you is a wholehearted commitment to the therapeutic process, and a positive outcome will be inevitable.
Sometimes a relationship may have deteriorated to the point of no return. If that is the case, I will provide the support and tools you need to grieve your losses and redefine a new co-parent partnership if children are involved.
Couples are welcome to attend together or individually. It’s not unusual for one partner to initially come for therapy, and the other partner joins them after one or two sessions. I work with all couples regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity, and relationship lifestyles-monogamous and non-monogamous couples alike.
Counselling process consists of helping in these areas and more:
- Intimacy, sensual or sexual touch and sex
- Communication between couples
- Rebuilding trust
- Learning to cope and manage Jealousy
- Recovering and hearing after betrayal or Affair
- Learning to communicate about sex, wants and desires
- To become aware of your partner needs, wants and desires
- Opening up the relationship to a different relationship dynamic
- Heterosexual or same Sex Relationships
- Monogamous or Non-monogamous relationship (open relationships)
- Separation/ Divorce
- Parenting and Family Issues
- financial issues
- work-related stress
- different goals and values